A toothbrush rug is made using a technique with strips of fabric and a toothbrush as your needle. Make a toothbrush rug tool using an old brush that has outlived its hygienic usefulness. A point created on one end of the handle will allow the needle to easily slip under the previous stitches on the rug, while a hole drilled in the other end is the eye of the needle used for threading the fabric strips.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Electric grinder
- Permanent marker
- Scrap wood
- 1/4-inch drill bit
Cut off the bristled head of a toothbrush using a jigsaw. This will leave you with the toothbrush handle.
Place the cut end of the handle against the grinding wheel of an electric grinder. Shape the end into a point.
Measure down a 1/4 inch from the uncut end of the handle and mark it with a permanent marker.
Place the toothbrush handle on a piece of scrap wood. The scrap wood will prevent accidentally drilling through your table. Drill through the mark on the handle using a 1/4-inch drill bit. This is the eye of the needle.
Tips and warnings
- Inexpensive toothbrushes are available at discount and dollar stores. Many may already have a hole for hanging, eliminating the need to drill a new one.
- A toothbrush with a smooth handle is recommended. A handle with a rubber grip will prevent the tool from sliding smoothly through the fabric stitches.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for