While attending an important business meeting or going for a job interview, one of the last things anyone wants to see on his or her suit is a snag. Snags can happen quickly by catching the suit fabric on a sharp object. A typical snag is a single long loop of thread dangling from the fabric. Pulling or cutting the thread distorts the fabric and may create a large hole that will be difficult to fix. Be prepared to fix snags on suits by having a needle and thread on hand.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Thread, regular or fuzzy
Thread a 2-foot piece of fuzzy string into a large needle. Regular thread can be used, but the fuzzy string seems to attach to the snag easier.
Pass the needle from the outside through the snag to the inside lining. Try to go through the same hole and pull gently to avoid catching surrounding stitches.
Pull the loose string all the way through the suit fabric. The fuzzy string will pull the snag back into place.
Repeat as necessary until the snag is no longer visible.
Examine the inside of the garment and, if possible, tie a knot in the loop of the snag to prevent it from going back to the front. If the loop is too small to tie a knot, use matching thread and needle and catch the loop to sew it flat.
Tips and warnings
- Push the needle through the snag hole until you are able to thread the snag into the eye of the needle, then pull through to the other side of the garment.
- Gently pull fabric by placing hands on both sides of snag and pulling in an outward motion. Turn the garment and continue pulling until the snag is gone.
- Use a small crochet hook to pull the snag though the garment.
- Use a "fabric snag repair needle" that can be purchased at sewing and craft stores.
- Spray fray prevention liquid on snags that appear to be fraying.
- Surround zippers with a snag-free nylon strip.
- Never cut off the snagged loop as it could turn into a large hole.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for