Two things come to mind when making a "Coke can cake." One is the original recipe published by the Coca-Cola Company for making a cake using a can of Coke. Originally it was made with a bottle of Coke, but the recipe has changed over time. The second is a cake-shaped like a Coke can, which can be done a few ways. You can combine the two by making the Coca-Cola recipe cake and shaping it like the Coke can for a full Coke affect.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups small marshmallows
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp cocoa
- 1 can of Coke
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 box confectioners sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Cake pans
- Decorating tips
- Pastry bag
- Mixing bowls
- Mixing spoon
- Cooling rack
Preheat your oven to 177 degrees Celsius. This is the proper baking temperature.
Sift together 2 cups sugar and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Add 1 ½ cup marshmallows.
Mix ½ cup butter, ½ cup oil, 3 tbsp cocoa and 1 cup Coca-Cola in a saucepan. Bring the contents to a boil.
Pour the contents of the saucepan over the dry ingredients and blend everything together.
Add 1 tsp baking soda to a ½ cup of buttermilk and mix until the baking soda is dissolved.
Put the buttermilk mixture in the batter with two eggs and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix everything together well.
Pour the batter into a greased 9-by-13-inch pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
Make the frosting while the cake bakes, as it needs to be frosted as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Combine ½ cup butter, 3 tbsp cocoa and 6 tbsp. Coca-Cola in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Pour saucepan contents over one box of confectioners sugar and blend well.
Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 cup chopped pecans if you desire. Spread over the hot cake when it comes out of the oven.
Make any type of cake you want in cake pan rounds. You can use standard 8- or 9-inch rounds for a large can or use smaller rounds such as 4- or 6-inch rounds.
Bake at least four rounds. You can make up to six to make the cake taller.
Let the rounds cool completely before working with them. Cooling on a wire rack is the best way to keep the integrity of the cake intact.
Put frosting between each of the rounds, stacking all rounds on top of each other.
Frost the outside of the cake with red frosting, which you can make using red food colouring in white frosting.
Use a pastry bag with white frosting to write "Coca-Cola" as well as the swoop on the side.
Tips and warnings
- You can add toothpicks between the levels to keep the cake shaped like a Coke can.
- Stick a toothpick in the cake to verify it is done before starting the cooling process. The toothpick should come out clean when inserted in the centre.
- Practice with the cake before serving it for a special event. You will be more secure in your skills.
- You can make Coke cakes with preboxed versions of devil's food or vanilla cake as well.
- Do not be discouraged when first making a cake shaped like a Coke can. It can be very difficult to decorate.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for