A sign of well-developed and defined pectoral muscles, the "pec dance" is a great way to show off the fruits of hours spent in the weight room. The manoeuvre itself is neither complicated nor tiring to execute. However, if you are not already muscular, you will have to bulk up your pectoralis muscles to make them dance.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clear space on the floor or ground
- Dumbbells (optional)
- Weight bench (optional)
- Music (optional)
Develop your pectoral muscles if you haven't already. Do strengthening exercises like push-ups, dumbbell press, chest dips and butterflies. As you get stronger, increase the amount of weight or resistance you use for quickest results.
Practice flexing your pecs in quick, jerky motions by clasping your hands together in front of your torso and pressing your palms together. You should be able to feel the muscles tense and, if you look down, observe them "dancing" in staccato movements.
Once you have a feel for the muscle contraction, practice moving each pec independently without your hands clasped. Although you can do this just by flexing the muscle, it helps to give a tiny jerk of the shoulder down and forward.
Having mastered independent pectoral flexing, begin choreographing a routine that involves flexes of the right pec, the left pec, and both pecs at once. Use a mirror to assess yourself. For added flair, consider interspersing other kinds of flexes -- bicep, deltoid and others. Set the routine to music (optional).
Find an audience and perform the routine, or simply improvise a few pectoral movements when the right moment arises.
Tips and warnings
- Although some people can execute a version of the pec dance with their shirts still on, the routine tends to be most impressive when done bare-chested. Rest your muscles for 48 hours between weightlifting sessions.
- Only perform the dance at an appropriate venue. Pec dances in the workplace or at formal social functions may make others uncomfortable.
- Muscle definition helps a great deal. Improve your pec dance by shedding excess fat with an aerobic exercise regimen and a healthy diet.
- Take appropriate precautions when starting a weight training regimen. Do not lift without learning proper technique, and only do heavy lifting with a spotter. Improper lifting can result in injury.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for