When you have a batch of beautiful roses saving them can keep the memory of the occasion in which you got them alive forever. Over time, your roses will dry out and lose some of their colour, which is why dipping them in dye can help to revive their original look or even add a funky new colour such as blue or purple. You can dye fresh white roses to give them a new colour or dye silk white roses.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup of aluminum potassium sulphate
- Metal spoon
- 4 drops of food dye in the colour of your choice
- White rose, dried, fresh or silk
- Shellac spray
Mix together in a large bowl 2 cups of water with ½ cup of aluminum potassium sulphate using a metal spoon. Add four drops of a food dye in the colour of your choice and stir once more.
Hold your rose upside-down and submerge it into your dye mixture. Slowly stir the dye mix with the rose bud for 30 seconds then remove and let excess mixture drip off over old newspaper. Place in a vase and allow to dry overnight. For silk flowers stir for an additional 30 seconds to allow dye to permeate the weave of silk.
Mix up more dye and re-dip the flower bud if you want a darker colour. Once satisfied with the dried colour spray your entire rose with a mist of clear shellac. This will preserve your rose and its colour while providing a shine to it. Allow to dry according to the brand's drying time.
Tips and warnings
- Another easy way to dye real roses is to add four drops of dye to a cup of water in a vase. Snip the stems of your roses and place them in the water-dye mixture. After a day or two, the flower will soak up the coloured solution and its petals will take on the colour of the dye.
- Mix different food dyes to yield some new colours. For example, you could mix a couple drops each of yellow and green with a drop of blue to create a teal shade. Mix red and blue for a rich purple, or yellow and red for an orange. Experiment with colours and drop your mixes onto a plain white sheet of paper to get an idea of how the dye will look on roses.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for