Pelargonium crispum "Variegatum," known commonly as a variegated lemon-scented geranium, is a compact, shrubby geranium that has green and pale yellow leaves, and produces a lemon scent. You can grow lemon-scented geraniums for topiary purposes outdoors, but they are also ideal as houseplants, due to their small, soft leaves and pleasing scent. With the correct planting and care, you should be able to grow lemon-scented geraniums in your home garden for many years.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Container (optional)
- Potting soil
- Peat moss or perlite
Mix several inches of peat moss or perlite into the planting soil in an area with full sun or into the soil in a planting container. Ensure planting containers have several holes in the bottom to aid drainage.
Dig a hole in the planting area that allows you to place the plant at the same depth at which it is growing in its nursery container. Plant seeds 1/4 inch deep. Water thoroughly after planting.
Water the geraniums whenever the soil starts to get dry. You don't need to keep them consistently moist, but you shouldn't let the soil completely dry out between waters.
Fertilise once a month during the active growing period, usually in the spring and summer, with a well-balanced, time release or water-soluble fertiliser.
Mix in 1 tsp. Epsom salt with the water-soluble fertiliser. If you don't use a water-soluble fertiliser, mix in 1 tsp. Epsom salt with 1 gallon of water once every four times that you water the geraniums. The Epsom salt will introduce magnesium, which is loved by lemon-scented geraniums.
Tips and warnings
- If you live in a region where daytime temperatures can rise above 32.2 degrees Celsius, plant in an area where there will be some afternoon shade.
- In the winter, bring any potted geraniums indoors when the temperatures begin to near 7.22 degrees Celsius. This will prevent shock. Indoors, keep the plants in a south-facing window where they can receive at least four hours of direct sunlight each day.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for