"Warcraft III" is the third instalment in the classic "Warcraft" series of real-time strategy games by Blizzard Entertainment. Using the game's built-in custom map creation tool, "Warcraft III" players can not only design new maps and scenarios, but build entire new games out of the "Warcraft III" engine. One of those custom games is "Defense of the Ancients" ("DotA"), a multiplayer game in which players control powerful heroes to assist computer-controlled forces. Due to the intensely competitive nature of the game, the player may find that remapping his shortcut keys to something more convenient will provide a decisive advantage against opponents using the default "Warcraft III" configuration.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Download and install a shortcut key configuration generator, such as Warkeys or DotaKeys, or use a Web-based service, such as DOTA Customkey Generator. These programs and services will generate a file called "customkey.txt" that "Warcraft III" uses to enable user-modified shortcuts.
Click each icon representing a skill or item slot and select a letter or other key to use as a shortcut. The process is essentially the same for each tool.
Save your customised key layout to generate a "customkeys.txt" file. Place this file in your "Warcraft III" main directory.
Open "Warcraft III" and select the "Options" menu. Check the box next to "Custom Keyboard Shortcuts" and save your changes.
Tips and warnings
- It is possible to modify customkey.txt manually to modify your shortcuts. However, using one of the programs suggested to automate the process makes it quick and easy to use.
- Make sure your chosen customkey.txt generator is updated to match the version of "DotA" you are playing. Otherwise, there will be compatibility issues and your shortcut key modifications may not work.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for