If your webcam is giving you a dark output, you can adjust the settings so that the image looks brighter on the screen. You can usually adjust the brightness, hue and other webcam settings using the program that comes installed during the driver installation. If you have a plug-and-play driver, however, you may have to use a third-party chat client such as Skype or Yahoo! Messenger to make the changes that you want.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Open the program that you use to manage the settings of the webcam. For instance, if you are using a Logitech webcam, open "Logitech QuickCam." Navigate to "webcam Settings" and adjust the "Brightness," "Contrast," "Color Intensity," "White Balance" and other video settings of the webcam.
Use a chat client such as Skype or Yahoo! Messenger to adjust the brightness settings if you have a plug-and-play webcam. For Yahoo! Messenger users, click the "Messenger" tab and then select "My webcam." When the webcam window appears, click "File" and then "Preferences." Select "webcam Broadcast" and then "Camera Settings." Choose "Device Settings" and adjust the controller for "Brightness," "Contrast" and other webcam settings. If you are using Skype, proceed to the next step.
Log in to "Skype." Click "Tools," "Options," "Video Settings" and then "webcam Settings." Select the "Video Proc Amp" tab and move the slider for "Brightness," "Contrast," "Hue," "Saturation" and other video settings until you achieve the video quality that you want.
Tips and warnings
- Natural light can affect the camera settings. Make sure there is enough light in the room so that the image in the camera does not appear dark. If the image in the webcam appears too bright, reduce the light in the room.
- Clean the lens of the webcam with a lint-free cloth to avoid blurry images. Note that although you can use webcams outdoors, they are built for indoor use. The image on your webcam might appear too bright when used outdoors.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for