Roasting meat typically involves cooking the meat slowly over a low heat. When you roast beef, it cooks the meat all the way through, but while the outside is slightly hard or crunchy, the inside stays juicy and moist. If you forget to check on the meat, set the oven too high, or leave the roast cooking too long, then you risk burning the finished product. Use home remedies to get rid of that burnt taste.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clean roasting dish
- Worcestershire sauce
Remove the pan from the oven as soon as you realise that the roast burnt.
Fill the sink with cold water and place the bottom of the roasting dish in the cold water. The water halts the cooking process and helps stop the burnt flavour from permeating through the meat.
Scrape or pull the meat out of the pan, leaving the bottom layer behind. Transfer the meat to a new pan. If you catch it fast enough, then you can save most of the roast.
Pour a thin layer of water over the top of the roast beef. The water replaces the cooking liquid you lost when the meat burnt.
Dip the spoon into the cooking liquid and taste. If the beef still has a burnt flavour, then add ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and stir, mixing it into the liquid. Spoon the liquid over the top of the roast beef to mask the burnt flavour.
Tips and warnings
- Use your favourite seasonings in place of the Worcestershire sauce. A small amount of grill seasoning or tomato purée will also mask the burnt taste.
- Instead of using water, use the cooking liquid you originally added to the roast.
- For a lightly burnt roast, try adding a piece of white bread into the cooking pot. Place the bread directly on top of the roast beef, add the lid, and let sit for ten minutes. The method works because the bread absorbs the burnt taste and scent.
- You can also try adding a teaspoon of peanut butter to the cooking liquid.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for