Majorettes are members of a dance team, sometimes employing baton or flag twirling as elements of choreography in addition to dance. A standard majorette outfit consists of a dance leotard, trimmed in decorative embellishments. These leotards differ from gymnastics uniforms because they often feature a more creative neckline like halter or one-shoulder styles. Using a dance leotard as the base, make a majorette outfit using a few basic craft and sewing supplies.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Dance leotard
- Bust form
- Fabric scissors
- Decorative trims
- Sequin or lame fabric
- Measuring tape
- Fabric glue
Slip the leotard onto a bust form for true fit. Decide the type of design and shapes your majorette outfit will have.
Cut the decorative fabric into the desired shapes. Pin the decorative fabric shapes onto the leotard and bust form.
Measure areas on the leotard and bust form where you want to add trim and take note of the measurements. Cut the trim according to your measurements and pin it onto the leotard and bust form to cover decorative fabric edges.
Remove the pins on one section of the leotard and bust form at a time. Apply fabric glue along the underside edges of the decorative fabric and trims. Repeat for each section of the leotard and let dry completely.
Tips and warnings
- Majorette outfits are usually coordinated to school or team colours. Apply iron-on letters to the front of the leotard for more obvious affiliation.
- Don't be afraid to trim all of the decorative fabric sections and edges of the leotard. With dance costumes, more is more.
- Check leotard wash instructions. Most decorative materials require hand washing or dry cleaning.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for