Bathroom faucets are mounted to the countertop by means of retaining nuts below. In most modern faucets, these nuts are thinner than normal nuts and made out of plastic, not metal. Normally these nuts will screw off if you need to remove the bathroom faucet, but sometimes the nuts can become stuck.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Rotary drilling tool and blade (optional)
- Utility knife
Clear out anything located in the space beneath the faucet. You will need plenty of room to remove the stuck mounting on the bathroom faucet above, and this will help prevent accidents.
Turn off the water supply for the faucet with the stuck nut. The supply valve for the faucet is located directly beneath the faucet body. Follow the hose from the bottom of the faucet to where it meets the supply valve coming out of the floor or wall. Turn the knob on the end of the supply valve all the way to the right to cut the water supply for the faucet.
Unscrew the coupling connecting the upper part of the water supply hose to the underside of the faucet, using a wrench or pliers. Some water may dribble out when you do this.
Press a hacksaw against the edge of the stuck nut. Slowly draw the hacksaw back and forth across the nut until the saw begins to cut through the nut and the faucet mounting. Continue sawing until the nut and mounting come off the faucet.
Repeat the process for the stuck nut on the other mounting beneath the faucet.
Run a sharp utility knife around the caulk outside the top of the faucet base. Take care not to cut the counter while you are cutting by directing the knife blade at the faucet mount rather than the countertop.
Pull the faucet and mount up and off the countertop.
Tips and warnings
- You can also use a rotary drilling tool and a metal cutting blade to cut away the stuck nut and mounting.
- Use duct or other tape to protect the bathroom countertop while you are cutting the mounting.
- Wear protective eyewear when using power tools.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for