The Canon EOS 7D is a DSLR camera known not only for its professional image-shooting capability, but also its professional video-capturing capability. It can capture both high-definition (HD) and standard-definition (SD) videos and has compatibility with a number of prime lenses and camera accessories for professional videography and filmmaking. It is also possible to use it as a webcam by using an applicable third-party application.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Canon EOS 7D
- Canon EOS 7D installer
- Camera to computer USB cable
- Third-party webcam application
- Tripod (optional)
Install the Canon 7D camera drivers in the computer you will use to connect it as a webcam. The CD installer is packaged with your camera when you purchased. You may also check for some driver updates for installation at the Canon website for optimal use of your camera. If you don't have access to the CD installer, you can also download it at the Canon website.
Search the Internet for a third-party webcam application compatible with the Canon 7D, then download and install it in your computer. Although many webcam programs are available for free or for trial or purchase as of June 2011, fewer programs exist that support DSLR cameras. The application ExtraWebcam is one of those compatible with the Canon 7D.
Connect your Canon 7D to the computer via USB cable.
Open the third-party webcam application, then turn on the camera.
Wait for your camera to be recognised by your webcam program. If it is not automatically recognised as the default video source for web streaming, change your default video source into the Canon 7D.
Fix the camera's position according to the shooting height, angle and framing of your webcam subject. If you have access to a tripod, this will help secure your camera as you make changes on how you intend to position it for webcam use.
Begin the streaming of the video coming from the camera to the Internet using your third-party application or a messenger program like Skype, iChat, MSN Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger.
Tips and warnings
- The Canon 7D offers HD and SD video capture options. It allows you to use a 1080p (1920 x by 1080 pixels) or 720p (1280 x by 720 pixels) HD resolution or a VGA resolution (640 x by 480 pixels) for your video.
- For web streaming, although the quality of HD video is undoubtedly superior than VGA, this might become a problem if you have low hardware specifications and slow Internet connection.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for