YouTube is an online video sharing website that allows you to post, view and comment on video clips. You might have decided at some stage that you didn't want your YouTube account anymore and terminated it. If you've changed your mind about closing your account and want to get it back, reactivating your account is a simple process. However, if YouTube have terminated your account for violating their terms of service, you will not be able to reopen your account or start a new membership unless you contest the termination. Members who close then reinstate their account will not be able to access any of their old videos or comments.
- Skill level:
Check your old username isn't invalid or suspended by going to youtube.com/user/username, replacing "username" with your actual YouTube account username.
Go to google.com/support/youtube/bin/request.py?hl=en&contact_type=reopenaccount and enter your old username and the account's e-mail address to reopen your account.
Select a new username and password. Once you have closed a YouTube account, you, nor anyone else will not be able to use your old username again.
Tips and warnings
- Users who have linked their YouTube account to a Google Account before closing it will have to follow the same process. If you delete the Google Account linked to your YouTube account, your YouTube account will be deleted by default.
- If you believe YouTube terminated your account unfairly, you can visit youtube.com/t/copyright_counter to file a counter notification. However, you should note that if you file a false counter-notification, you might face legal consequences.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for