The ability to read e-books on any digital device makes e-book very mobile and popular. File conversion of any unsecured, DRM-free book requires using a third-party program, such as Calibre; however, Calibre conversions add additional hidden coding to the files. Also, converting a PDF to EPUB or MOBI for publication is not recommended. Easily convert an EPUB files to MOBI using the Kindle Previewer drag and drop method. Due to its simplicity, Kindle Previewer is the optimal conversion choice for publication, without adding unnecessary coding.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Calibre e-Book Management Software program
- Kindle Previewer (optional)
Download and install the Calibre program. Compatible downloads include Windows, OS X, Linux and portable devices.
Open the Calibre program. Click the "Add book" icon link in the menu to add a DRM-free book to your Calibre library.
Select the book in the Calibre library list, and click the "Convert Books" icon link in the menu.
From the "Output format" drop-down menu, select the conversion choice. Drop-down menu is located in the upper right of the conversion window. Click "OK."
Plug the e-reader device into the computer. Click the "Transfer to device" icon link in the menu to transfer automatically.
Download, install and open Kindle Previewer for Mac or PC.
Drag the EPUB file over the open Previewer window.
Click the popup window link "The output file has been generated here."
Plug in and open the Kindle on the computer. Drag and drop the MOBI file into the documents folder located on the Kindle device.
Tips and warnings
- Calibre supports many formats for conversion, including Word, PDF, EPUB, MOBI, RTF and text.
- SIGIL is the best program to edit, convert and publish an EPUB to Kindle. It helps retain the original EPUB structure, while letting you directly modify the HTML code.
- EPUB format may be directly uploaded to the Kindle Direct Publishing service. KDP automatically converts the format to a compatible MOBI file.
- Never hack into a DRM-protected file. It is illegal and punishable by law.
- Never convert from PDF to EPUB or MOBI for publication. PDF uses coding that is not compatible with e-reader devices.
- Calibres' conversions are not always accurate when converting e-books for publication.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for