DISCOVER
×

How to Get Rid of Old Antifreeze

Updated February 21, 2017

Antifreeze, made from toxic ethylene glycol, is poisonous to humans and animals if ingested. It also can contaminate soils and sediments and deplete oxygen levels in surface waters if improperly disposed. Some antifreeze is also made of propylene glycol, which is less toxic, except in great quantities, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. When you have old antifreeze to get rid of, treat it as a hazardous waste. Instead of mindlessly dumping it out on the ground or down a drain, find out how to dispose of it in the most responsible manner.

Call your local sewage treatment office and tell them how much used antifreeze you have for disposal. Inform them if the antifreeze is made from ethylene glycol or propylene glycol. If you only have a few quarts, it may be possible for you to pour it down a household drain and flush with plenty of water.

Contact auto repair shops or used oil collection stations in your area and inquire about bringing the used antifreeze to them for disposal.

Call any waste disposal or recycling companies in your area and ask about disposing large quantities, such as from a commercial operation, of antifreeze.

Tip

Check the antifreeze bottle's label to find out if it's made from propylene or ethylene glycol. Collection centres may charge you a small fee to get rid of your used antifreeze.

Warning

Immediately clean up any antifreeze spills because pets or children may ingest it.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Based in Texas, Cynthia Measom has been writing various parenting, business and finance and education articles since 2011. Her articles have appeared on websites such as The Bump and Motley Fool. Measom received a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Texas at Austin.