Steam mops can make cleaning floors a simple task. Unfortunately, the cost of replacing the pads can add up quickly. Over the life of your mop you might spend more on pads than the mop itself. Along with that, throwing away the pad adds to the impact on the environment and landfills. Making your own steam mop pads is a great way to save money and conserve.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Absorbent fabric
- Sewing machine
- Velcro strips, soft-side only
- Measuring tape
- Fabric marker
Measure your steam mop head or an old mop pad if you have one. Depending on the type of steam mop you have, you may need to add a few inches so the new pad will attach properly.
Cut out two pieces of fabric according to the measurements you have taken. If you have an old mop pad, you can use it as a pattern to cut your fabric. If you are using the mop head, cut out sections from the end of the fabric so liquid can be released, if needed.
Mark on one piece of fabric where the Velcro pieces on the mop head will meet with the fabric. If you are using a fabric that shows a nice side, mark on the nice side of the fabric.
Sew the two pieces of fabric together, using the sewing machine. Make sure the marks you made for the Velcro and the nice side for the other piece of fabric are on the inside. Sew between 1/2 inch and 1 inch from the edge in a straight line. Leave about 2 to 3 inches from the end open on one side.
Push the fabric through the small hole you left, so the nice side is showing. Sew together the last few inches.
Sew the Velcro onto the mop pad with the soft side facing outward. Make sure you sew them on in the place you marked on the fabric.
Tips and warnings
- You can use any absorbent material you prefer, including cotton, terry cloth or flannel.
- You don't need to use a fabric that has a nice side. This does not affect how it works, just how it looks.
- Always use caution with a sewing machine. Don't put your fingers too close to the needle and always turn it off when not in use. You can seriously hurt yourself or someone else.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for