In letter writing how do I address a consul general?

Written by mike johnson
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
In letter writing how do I address a consul general?
A proper greeting is necessary when writing to officials. (Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images)

A "consul" is a person within the government who is in charge of relaying information about and promoting his country within a foreign region, while the "consul general" is the government official in charge of supervising all of the lower level consuls within a certain area. If you would like to write a letter to a consul general, you should first understand exactly how to properly address her to ensure you are polite and respectful in the letter.

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Start with the word "Dear." This is a universally accepted polite greeting for a letter.

  2. 2

    Add the consul general's title, such as "Mr.," "Mrs.," "Ms." or "Miss." Note that if you're not sure if a female consul general is married, use "Ms." to address her.

  3. 3

    Write in the surname, or last name, of the consul general. Then, add a colon to complete the greeting.

Tips and warnings

  • For the envelope, include the consul general's full name after his title and write "Consul General" underneath his name.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.