While the monitor that was included with your Dell Dimension desktop computer may be suitable for watching videos on your own or surfing the Internet, its likely not large enough for showing a presentation to a group of people. A television can be used in place of a standard monitor if you want a larger screen for showing images to several people at once. Connecting a Dimension to a television only requires attaching the appropriate cable and changing the screen resolution.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Video cable
Reach behind the Dell Dimension's case and disconnect the current monitor's cable from the video card port. Check to see what kind of video port the Dimension model uses, such as VGA, DVI, HDMI, S-video or Display Port. Check the ports on the back of the television to see which corresponding port the TV uses.
Connect one end of the appropriate video cable type to the port on the back of the Dell computer. Attach the other end to the corresponding port on the back of the television.
Open the "Start" menu and click "Control Panel." Scroll down to the "Appearance and Personalization" heading and click "Adjust screen resolution."
Click the "Resolution" scrollbar and slide the bar to the appropriate resolution to match the television, such as "800 X 600" or "1280 X 1024." Click "OK" to save the change.
Tips and warnings
- Your television may not have the same type of port as the Dell Dimension computer. In that instance, adaptors are available through electronics stores that convert one type of cable to another.
- If your video card has multiple ports it's possible to use the television as a secondary monitor and still keep the main monitor connected. Navigate to the "Control Panel" and click the "Adjust screen resolution" link underneath the "Appearance and Personalization" heading. Open the "Multiple Displays" drop-down menu and choose "Extend these displays" to use both screens at once, or instead choose "Show desktop only on 2" to only use the television screen. Click "OK."
- Many television models are not meant to display high-resolution images from a desktop computer. Unless you have an HD television with a high resolution, the image may appear blurry on the screen.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for