Picea pungens "Hoopsii," also known as Colorado blue spruce or hoopsi blue spruce, is a needled evergreen tree favoured for its silvery, blue-green needles and attractive pyramidal form. At maturity, these low-maintenance evergreen trees reach heights of up to 50 feet with a 30-foot spread. Hoopsi blue spruce trees thrive in full sun locations in United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) plant hardiness zones 2 through 8.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Organic mulch
- Evergreen tree fertiliser
- Insecticide (if necessary)
Irrigate your hoopsi blue spruce with 1 inch of water per week if rain doesn't supply an equivalent amount of moisture. Apply the water to the surface of the soil, rather than to the tree itself.
Spread a 4-inch layer of organic mulch in a 5-foot radius around the hoopsi blue spruce to help the soil conserve moisture. Keep the mulch at least 6 inches from the base of the trunk to avoid increased insect activity.
Fertilise the tree with a single application of a water-soluble evergreen fertiliser in the early spring to promote invigorated growth. Consult the instructions on the product label before applying your fertiliser.
Monitor the hoopsi blue spruce for common pests such as aphids, bagworms, scale, budworms and spider mites. Spray the foliage of infested trees with a directed stream of water to rinse away unwanted pests. Treat serious infestations with an insecticide product, used according to label directions.
Tips and warnings
- Hoopsi blue spruce trees grow well without regular prunings. However, discoloured, diseased, damaged or dead branches and foliage should be removed from your tree to preserve its health and appearance. Always used sharpened and sterilised pruning tools when pruning the trees in your home landscape.
- Hoopsi blue spruce trees appreciate moist soil, but do not tolerate prolonged exposure to standing water. Overly wet or flooded soil may cause the tree's roots to rot.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for