Nodules are small cysts that can form on the thyroid gland, in breasts, in the joints or on vocal cords, as well as in other areas. Often benign, these small fluid sacs can be unsightly and uncomfortable. While surgery or drugs may be required for malignant nodules, it's possible to reduce or dissolve some nodules through more natural means. All you need to do, according to many natural-remedy proponents, is to decrease the phlegm and unhealthy chemicals that are causing the nodules to form in the first place.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Citrus fruits
- Herbal supplements
Cut out parts of your diet that contribute to poor health and the formation of nodules. Greasy and fatty foods should be avoided; they contribute to the production of phlegm, which can accumulate anywhere in the body and form nodules, according to Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., director of the Institute for Traditional Medicine in Oregon. Avoid taking in alcohol, caffeine or any other drugs that you don't need. Avoiding caffeine is especially recommended if you have breast nodules.
Increase the amount of citrus fruit that you take in. Lemons, limes, oranges and other sources of citrus and vitamin C help reduce nodules and keep you healthy. These additional servings (at least one more than the daily recommended number) can be in juice form if you don't want to eat the whole fruit.
Increase your iodine intake if you have thyroid nodules. Iodine is found in foods like kelp, low-fat yoghurt and 2-percent cow's milk; smaller amounts are found in eggs and strawberries. Iodine is key for keeping the thyroid gland on track and functioning properly, and dissolving nodules that form over time.
Take a daily herbal supplement that's targeted specifically at reducing and eliminating nodules. Herbal medications, such as "Dissolve" from People Healer, use natural ingredients to target nodules and dissolve them over time. Follow all instructions when taking an herbal supplement for maximum results.
Avoid any behaviour that aggravates the nodules. Nodules forming near joints may be affected by heavy use of that joint, causing swelling and pain. Nodules on the vocal cords will only be made worse by screaming, loud singing or long periods of speaking.
Tips and warnings
- Incorporate daily exercise into your diet. Exercise isn't targeted specifically at eliminating nodules, but it helps your body repair itself and keep on track, so it will help in a general way, especially in burning fat and keeping all systems operating smoothly.
- Avoid stress as much as possible. Stress and emotionally negative states can only make nodules worse.
- Always go to your doctor when you have nodules of any kind. You need to be sure that the nodules aren't cancerous, and discuss a possible treatment plan.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for