Switching a Ferguson tractor from a generator to an alternator is a performance-motivated upgrade. Changing to an alternator will improve the performance of the tractor's electrical system. A generator cannot charge a battery when the engine is at idle, but an alternator can. Generators are notorious for poor performance in cold weather, often unable to turn the engine over. With an alternator, the tractor's lights shine brighter. Furthermore, 12-volt systems are the industry standard, so parts for a 12-volt system are readily available. Fortunately, you do not need to rewire the vehicle to make the conversion.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wrench set
- Socket set
- Flathead screwdriver
- 12-volt light bulbs and light assemblies
- 12-volt battery
- 12-volt battery mount
- 12-volt fuses
- 12-volt alternator with regulator
- 12-volt voltage resistor
Remove the negative C-clamp from the battery terminal by unscrewing the nut from the bolt. Remove the positive cable in the same manner. Pull the battery from its mount by unscrewing the wing nuts on the cage.
Grind the frame off the engine well. Weld the 12-volt battery mount in its place, and seat the battery on it inside the new cage.
Disconnect the positive battery cable from the generator and the cable running to the regulator.
Remove the bolts that attach the generator to its mount, and grind off the mount. Weld the alternator mount to the engine well. Bolt the alternator to the mount.
Unscrew the cables running from the regulator. Remove the 6-volt regulator from the well, and grind off the mount. Weld the 12-volt mount in its place, and seat the new regulator.
Remove the light bulb covers, twist out the bulbs and remove the casings from the vehicle frame by taking out the screws that hold them in place.
Screw the 12-volt casings to the frame, twist in the new bulbs and reseat the bulb covers.
Attach the positive coil cable to the regulator. Attach the regulator cable to the alternator. Attach the battery cable to the alternator. The conversion now complete.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Yesterday's Tractor CO; Converting from 6 Volt to 12 Volt
- Yesterday's Tractor CO; Step by Step 12-Volt Conversion; Bob Melville
- NTractorClub.com; Converting From 6 Volts To 12 Volts or Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun; John the Old Tractor Guy and llamas, his sidekick
- Plamondon.com; Converting My 6 Volt Tractor to 12 Volts