Crochet beginners and experts will enjoy making a simple crochet butterfly. A crochet butterfly can be made in a few minutes using the basic chain stitch, single crochet and slip stitch. The butterfly can be used as an applique on a sweater or scarf, or hung from a string in a mobile display. Add a jewellery loop and a chain so the crochet butterfly can be worn as a necklace or even as earrings.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Lightweight worsted yarn (any bright colour)
- Size 5 crochet hook
- Fabric spray starch
Chain five chain stitches. Place a slip stitch in the first chain stitch to make the centre ring. Chain one and then place three single crochet stitches in the ring. Crochet 16 chain stitches and slip stitch in the last single crochet stitch to complete the loop for the top wing.
Single crochet three times in the ring, and then make 11 chain stitches. Slip stitch in the last single crochet stitch to make a loop for the bottom wing.
Single crochet three times in the ring. Chain 16 and then make a slip stitch in the last single crochet stitch to complete the loop for the other top wing. Repeat Step 2 to complete the final bottom wing.
Chain six and make a slip stitch from the fifth chain stitch from the hook on the second round. Slip stitch in the next two stitches. Slip stitch in the first chain and then chain 16. Slip stitch in each of the next 15 chain stitches.
Slip stitch in the next three stitches. Make a slip stitch in the first of the 16 chain stitches. Slip stitch in the next 15 chain stitches. Finish by making a slip stitch. Cut and then tie off the yarn.
Attach the yarn to the head with a slip stitch to make an antenna. Chain 10. Cut and knot the yarn. Repeat for the second antenna.
Spray the entire butterfly with spray starch or a fabric stiffener. Curl the antennae. Allow the butterfly to dry completely.
Tips and warnings
- Decorate the butterfly by dotting the wings with fabric glue and adding glitter.
- Make several butterflies and use them to create a mobile, or sew them onto a sweater.
- Make butterflies in all the colours of the rainbow and attach them to a wall for a unique display.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for