Dried garbanzo beans purchased from the store can be time consuming to prepare as the beans need to be soaked before they are cooked. Canned chickpeas are a fast alternative that can also be dehydrated to promote longer storage times. Dehydrated chickpeas are also ideal for camping, as the beans can be cooked in a matter of minutes with boiling water from a campfire. Garbanzo beans can be easily prepared for dehydration, and the method is helpful for stocking up on dry goods.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Vegetable or olive oil
- Grill pan
- Canned chickpeas
Preheat the oven to 60 to 65.6 degrees Celsius.
Lightly grease a grill pan with cooking oil.
Drain the chickpeas in the strainer and rinse. Pat them dry with a towel.
Spread the garbanzo beans on the grill pan in a single layer, then place the pan on the centre rack of the oven.
Prop the door open at least 4 inches for circulation. Let the beans dry for 6 to 8 hours.
Tips and warnings
- Alternatively, garbanzo beans can be dried in a dehydrator. Follow the specific instructions for your machine.
- For large loads place a large fan in front of the oven to increase heat circulation. You'll also need to rotate the pans, if multiple pans are used.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for