Double-knotted adjustable cord bracelets are easy projects for both children and adults to make. Children can make several of these to give out to their friends as friendship bracelets or for birthday party favours. The bracelets are versatile and appropriate for both girls and boys. Use purchased cord from a fabric or craft store for simplicity. You can also use cloth ribbon or make your own cord with embroidery thread. Add beads or charms before tying the knots for a personalised affect if desired.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 3 or 6 pieces of embroidery floss (optional)
Choose a piece of cord in the desired colour and pattern. Alternatively, make your own cord by tightly braiding together three or six strands of embroidery floss.
Measure the desired wrist length and double the measurement. Add an additional inch to the total length and cut the cord.
Hold the cord in a "U" shape with one end in each hand. Cross the left end over to the right side. Tie an overhand or half knot in the left end of the cord, looping it around the right side of the cord so the cord rests in the centre of the knot. Tie a second overhand knot to secure the knot in place.
Cross the right end over to the left side of the cord. Tie an overhand or half knot in the right end of the cord, looping it around the left side of the cord. The looped end of the cord should rest in the centre of the knot. Tie a second half knot to secure the knot in place.
Slip the bracelet over the wrist and pull both knotted ends to tighten the bracelet; push the ends together to loosen it.
Adjustable Cord Bracelet
Tips and warnings
- An overhand or half knot is similar to the initial knot used to tie a shoelace. Instead of tying two separate pieces together, you will use the same knot to tie the cord to itself.
- If the cord does not slide easily through the knots, loosen the knots around the cord. Tying the knots too tightly around the cord will prevent the cord from adjusting properly.
- If the knots do not stay in place when the bracelet is adjusted, tighten the knots slightly; ensure the cord can still pass through the knots.
- Try wrapping the cord around a narrow glass, a friend's wrist, your ankle or other object while tying the knots. This will help hold the cord in place while you are preparing the bracelet.
- You can make your own cord using different methods and create different patterns using embroidery floss.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for