Fraps is a screen capture program designed to record either movies or still images from programs running on your computer. Fraps is extremely popular among video game players looking to share footage of their exploits on YouTube or other video sharing sites. Fraps records videos in AVI format, which can be converted easily into a web-ready animated GIF. Animated GIFs do not record sound, but they feature a very small file size, making them ideal for short animations that do not put a strain on a user's bandwidth.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Download Fraps from its website. Fraps is available for free on a trial basis, but it will stamp a watermark on everything you record. To get rid of this watermark, you must either buy the full version, or edit the watermark out from your video.
Configure the "Movies" tab on Fraps. Set "Video Capture Settings" to "30 fps" and "Full-size". Set the "Video Capture Hotkey" to any convenient key you wish. Finally, set "Folder to save movies in" to a convenient location that you can access.
Press the "Video Capture Hotkey" while running your program. When you are done recording, press the hot key again. You should see the output files in the destination folder you specified earlier. The files will be in AVI format.
Download and install GIF Movie Gear from its website. This program is available for free on a 30-day trial basis. After 30 days, you will need to purchase the program if you wish to continue using it.
Open your AVI movie in GIF Movie Gear.
Crop the screen by clicking "Animation" and choosing "Crop". This is only necessary if you feel the need to eliminate any parts of the recording from your final product.
Click the "optimize" button. This will remove any unnecessary frames from your animation, reducing the file size and making it easier to distribute.
Save the file as a GIF.
Recording with Fraps
Tips and warnings
- You can use GIF Movie Gear to make other edits to the animation, including removing extra frames manually, and speeding up or slowing down the rate of the animation. Refer to GIF Movie Gear's documentation for more information.
- Alternatively, you can configure Fraps to simply record a series of screen captures. Unfortunately, Fraps cannot record a screen capture more than once every second. The method described in this article produces much higher quality animated GIFs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for