Everybody perspires and is susceptible to leaving foul-smelling body odour on his or her clothing. Perspiration is generally more profuse when working out and performing manual labour. Although resistant to mildew and wrinkles, polyester is vulnerable to armpit odour. Perspiration stains often accompany armpit odour, which doubles the embarrassment. The key to eliminating armpit odour from polyester is to clean the garment promptly, before the odour fully permeates the polyester. Clean an armpit smell from polyester by using basic cleaning agents.
Squirt white vinegar onto the underarm region of the polyester shirt, saturating the smelly area. Let the vinegar-dampened polyester air-dry.
Smell the underarm area of the polyester shirt to determine if the odour is gone. If the odour lingers, coat the affected polyester liberally with pre-wash stain remover.
Rub the pre-wash product into the polyester. Let the product permeate the polyester for 15 minutes.
Rinse the polyester shirt thoroughly in warm water.
Launder the polyester shirt in the washing machine with warm water and 56.7gr of enzyme-based washing powder.
Dry the polyester shirt in the dryer, using the tumbling cycle.
Add 56.7gr of liquid fabric softener to the washing machine's rinse cycle to soften the polyester.
Spot-test the vinegar and pre-wash product on the polyester item to prevent damage.
Tips and warnings
- Add 56.7gr of liquid fabric softener to the washing machine's rinse cycle to soften the polyester.
- Spot-test the vinegar and pre-wash product on the polyester item to prevent damage.
- American Fiber Manufacturers Association: Polyester Fiber
- The Ohio State University: Quick 'n Easy Stain Removal - Stains Needing Unique Treatment Methods
- "The Seattle Times"; Spray Away Underarm Odor On Clothes With Vodka; Joe Graedon and Teresa Graedon; March 2011
- "Good Housekeeping": Stain Buster -- Perspiration/Sweat