Gaviscon contains alginic acid derived from brown seaweed, and is used to reduce heartburn, indigestion and the symptoms of acid reflux. The product is an over the counter medication that comes in liquid and tablet forms. Gaviscon can be used for occasional digestive discomfort or for those with chronic problems as an aide to their regular medications. Always consult a doctor for regular use of a medication especially if there are other ongoing treatments.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Choose the product you will be using or follow the recommendations of your doctor for either the liquid or tablet form of Gaviscon. Dosage and method depends on which product you choose.
Take the Gaviscon when symptoms are present or according to your doctor's instructions if applicable. For occasional use take the Gaviscon following a meal when stomach indigestion, heartburn or the symptoms of acid reflux present. For regular use take the Gaviscon after meals and/or at bedtime as a preventive measure.
Chew two to four tablets followed by an 236ml. glass of water. Do not take more than 16 tablets in a 24-hour period. Do not swallow the tablets whole. The tablets will begin to foam as you chew them and begin to interact with your saliva; this is normal and an indication the medication is beginning to work.
Drink 15 to 30ml of regular-strength liquid Gaviscon, or 10 to 20ml of extra-strength liquid four times daily. The liquid should be taken following a meal or at bedtime for regular use. For occasional use take the liquid following a meal or when you have symptoms.
Tips and warnings
- Consult a doctor if the symptoms persist. Take the medication after a meal not before, or the effectiveness of the medication will be reduced.
- Gaviscon can interact with certain medications. If you are on a prescription medication always consult a doctor before use.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for