"Minecraft" is a 3-D building game designed by an independent developer. The game, in open beta at the time of publication, was scheduled for retail release on Nov. 11, 2011. In "Minecraft," players are able to mine blocks, fight monsters, build any type of building, craft tools and weapons, or just explore. In addition to the basic game, players can add mods, or modifications, to the game to add new options. Finding, downloading and installing these modifications is a way to add variety to the game.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Java Runtime Environment (latest version)
- Software able to open .jar files. (WinRAR and 7 Zip are examples.
- "Minecraft" cape mod
Download a "Minecraft" mod that includes capes. You can find these on the official game forums under released mods, on download sites such as fileplanet.com, or by searching online.
Search for %APPDATA%/.minecraft/bin on your "Start" menu to find your "Minecraft" folder.
Copy your save folder to your desktop or to another location.
Delete all files in the "Minecraft" folder.
Log in to "Minecraft" to reinstall all of the files. This ensures that you have a fresh install, which is necessary for most modifications.
Search for and open the "Minecraft" folder again.
Open the bin folder.
Find minecraft.jar and open it with your unzip program. Unzip programs include WinRar and 7 zip.
Delete the META-INF folder.
Open the folder containing your cape modification, using your unzip program if necessary.
Copy all of the class files from your cape modification into your minecraft.jar folder. Some modifications may have more instructions.
Log in to the game and hit "F5" to see your character in third-person view. You should now see your new cape.
Tips and warnings
- "Minecraft" modification managers and installers make it easier to install modifications. Some of these also prevent possible conflicts between several modifications or modifications and the base game.
- Be sure that your Java Runtime Environment is up to date before playing "Minecraft" or attempting to install any modifications.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for