Pickled eggs are peeled hard boiled eggs that are marinated for several days before serving. Pickled eggs are served as a garnish, appetizer or side dish by some families on Easter Sunday. While there are a variety of different recipes for pickled eggs, all recipes include the key ingredients of eggs, salt, water and vinegar for pickling. Many recipes also include additional ingredients such as beets.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Large jar
- 12 eggs
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Beets (optional)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns (optional)
Place 12 eggs in a single layer in a pan. Add enough cold water to fully cover the eggs and bring the water to a boil. Remove the pan from the burner, cover the pan with a lid, and let the eggs sit in the water for 15 to 20 minutes.
Run the eggs under cold water and peel the shell from the eggs.
Place the eggs in a large jar.
Combine 3 cups cider vinegar, 1 1/2 cup water and 1 1/2 tsp salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. For additional flavour, add 1/2 cup granulated sugar (optional) and 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns (optional).
Pour the vinegar mixture over the eggs in the jar and let cool.
Seal the jar and refrigerate for two days before serving.
Tips and warnings
- For pickled eggs and beets, add roasted beets to the jar. The beet juice will turn the eggs and the marinade a purple colour.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for