Facebook doesn't let you post image files in your status updates, notes or profile page. You can get around this by making butterfly emoticons using simple keyboard characters such as letters and numbers. You can make more elaborate butterflies from special characters and symbols. If you want a large butterfly to use in your profile, you can find ASCII art (text art) butterflies to copy in ASCII art libraries -- or design your own.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Log into your Facebook account.
Click in the Status field, start a chat session with one of your friends or navigate to the Notes page and begin a new note.
Type --8<: or -8=: for flying butterflies.
Log into Facebook. Open a separate tab and navigate to a symbol art library such as Facebook Symbols (facebook-emoticons-symbols.blogspot.com). Locate a butterfly emoticon.
Left-click on one side of the butterfly you want to use. Hold down the mouse button and move the mouse pointer to the other side of the butterfly. Make sure you get all of the butterfly and none of the surrounding text. The butterfly should be highlighted.
Right-click inside the highlighted area to bring up the Edit menu and choose "Copy" or hit "Ctrl-C" together to copy your butterfly. Go back to Facebook and paste the butterfly by right-clicking where you want it to appear and selecting "Paste" from the edit menu or hitting "Ctrl-V."
Log into Facebook. In a separate window or tab, navigate to an ASCII art library such as ASCII Art Dictionary (ascii-art.de). Go to the page on butterflies.
Select the butterfly you want and copy it.
Paste the butterfly to a note or your Profile page.
Tips and warnings
- If the large text art butterfly distorts on the page, replace any spaces to the left of the design with underline characters.
- You can make your own symbol art using Unicode symbols. You'll need a Unicode symbol map.
- Be suspicious of Facebook apps offering to give you extra smileys. They may be scams.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for