In addition to its attributes as a social networking tool, Twitter can be a useful source of entertainment news and updates. Many celebrities run their own Twitter accounts, or have their official representatives update their Twitter accounts with first-hand information and news. You can contact a celebrity on Twitter by including at-replies to his username in one of your tweets, along with your message. This makes your message show up in the celebrity's list of replies on Twitter, and increases your chances of getting personal replies from your favourite star.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Log in to your Twitter account.
Visit the celebrity's Twitter profile and check that the account is verified by Twitter. This means that the owner of the account has taken extensive steps to prove her real identity to the Twitter identity-verification staff, and that Twitter verifies that the owner of the account is the celebrity in question. A verified Twitter account has a blue tufted circle with a white check mark next to the user's name in the Twitter bio section of the account profile.
Click the grey button with a graphic of a person's bust and a downward-pointing arrow beneath the celebrity's bio.
Click "Mention (username)" from the drop-down menu that appears. A pop-up dialogue box appears, prompting you to tweet the celebrity. Twitter prepopulates the tweet field with an at-reply to the celebrity's Twitter account.
Type your message to the celebrity and click the "Tweet" button. The pop-up box disappears once Twitter has successfully sent your tweet. Because you included an at-reply -- "@celebrityusername" -- in your tweet, your message displays in the celebrity's "@Mentions" tab from his home page.
Tips and warnings
- If the account isn't verified, there are still other ways to check if the Twitter account is the celebrity's official Twitter. Check the person's official site or Facebook page for a mention or link to the Twitter account.
- You can only send a direct message to users who follow your account.
- Remember that celebrities are real people, too. Like anyone else, most celebrities enjoy socialising with respectful, interesting people on Twitter. Try to contact them with unique, engaging messages. For example, celebrities are more likely to reply if you contact them about a worthy cause, an interesting link or an intelligent answer to a question they've posted.
- If a celebrity's account follows your Twitter, you can send the celebrity a private message by clicking the "Messages" tab in the top menu of the home page and clicking the "New Message" button. Type the celebrity's Twitter username in the first field, then enter your message in the larger field below and click "Send."
- Be respectful when contacting celebrities. Don't spam, send the same message over and over, insult the celebrity, demand a reply or become upset if the celebrity doesn't respond to your tweet. Most celebrities have thousands of followers, and some have millions. With that many people sending them messages, many celebrities only selectively reply to tweets from their followers. It isn't necessarily personal if you don't get a response.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for