If you enable message archiving within Yahoo! Messenger, all instant messages, group chat conversations and text messages get saved. The message archive groups each type of item within groups and further sorts your messages by contact name, chat room title or telephone number. If you plan to switch computers or want to back up your history to a different location, Yahoo! Messenger lets you save your message history as a text file. You can also delete and print items from the archive.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Open Yahoo! Messenger and then sign in using your Yahoo! name and password.
Click the "Contacts" menu and then click "Message Archive" to display a window showing your message, conference and SMS history.
Select the category you want to back up in the left pane. Click "Messages" to save IM conversations with a single contact, "Conferences" to save chat room conversations or "SMS Messages" to save text messages from phones. To save a single conversation, chat log or SMS, double-click the appropriate category to view each message and then click the message you wish to back up.
Click the "Message" menu and then select "Save." Choose a location to back up your history for the selected item and then type a name for the chat log next to "File Name." Click "Save" to back up your history to a text file. Repeat the process for each category of history or for each separate conversation you wish to back up.
Tips and warnings
- To delete messages from the archive before you create your backup, click the message you wish to delete and then click the "X" on the toolbar.
- To print a message, select the desired message and click the printer icon on the toolbar to send the message to your printer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for