Treating a chesty cough requires a certain type of treatment different from dry cough. What makes a chesty cough differ from a dry cough is that mucus lines the lungs, rather than being absent from it. The benefit of mucus in a chesty cough is that it clears out irritants that can clog up the respiratory system. To ease chesty cough symptoms, consider trying natural alternatives to over-the-counter medication, or in addition to them, to feel better faster.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 5 ml (1 tsp) pure honey
- Antibacterial soap
- 5 ml (1 tsp) of iodised salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- Nose bidet
- 235 ml of natural juice
- Portable humidifier
- 2 to 3 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 2 to 3 drops of menthol oil
Add 5 ml (1 tsp) of pure honey to a cup of hot tea or water. Stir well and drink the liquid before bedtime to soothe a chesty cough and prevent sleep disruptions. Continue to treat chronic cough, sore throat and inflamed lungs with honey and tea/hot water for three to four nights until coughing subsides.
Reduce phlegm in the lungs using a saline nasal wash. Wash your hands well with antibacterial soap and dry. Add 2. 5 ml (1/2 tsp) of iodised salt to a 235 ml glass of lukewarm water. Add a pinch of baking soda. Stir well. Pour the saline solution into a sinus rinse bidet. Situate yourself over a sink or empty basin. Insert the tip of the bidet into the right nostril. Tilt head to a 45-degree angle and allow to saline solution to run inside your nasal cavity and out through the left nostril for one minute. Repeat on the left nostril.
Loosen mucus inside the lungs with water and natural juices loaded with Vitamin C and bromelain, which help to suppress a cough. Aim to drink 235 ml of grapefruit, pineapple or orange juice several times a day for up to seven days.
Inhale steam to break up any phlegm in the lungs. Place two to three drops of eucalyptus oil inside the diffuser of a portable steam inhaler/humidifier and operate the device according to the manufacturer's instructions. Place two or three drops of menthol oil in a boiling pot of hot water; place a towel over your head and place your face over the pot to inhale the menthol steam. Soak in a hot bath to expose your lungs to natural steam.
Tips and warnings
- Talk to a pharmacist about the right medications that specifically aid in eliminating mucus from the lungs.
- Consult with a physician if phlegm coughed up is of a bright yellow or green hue, or contains traces of blood, which can be reflective of a serious lung infection or other serious medical condition.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for