Flirting at work must be handled with kid gloves. As the rules and policies on sexual harassment, inappropriate behaviour and employee fraternising vary, starting a full blown relationship in the office could get you into a world of trouble. If you have your eye on a male counterpart at work, keep your flirting to a minimum so that you clearly don't cross the line but can still let him know you're interested.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Do something sweet for him. Right before the Monday morning meeting, ask him if you can bring back a cup of coffee when you get yours. Set his coffee down on a napkin that has a note written in red ink, "Made it extra sweet for you -- gotta love Mondays." Position the cup over the note a bit so only he can see.
Smile at him when you see him on your way to lunch with your other coworkers. Hang over his desk or cubicle and ask him if wants you to pick something up for him. Joke with him about how he must be Mrs. Peterman's favourite since he gets to sit at his desk to eat lunch while working on the boss' special project every day. Use playful banter to showcase your personality and tap into his.
Ask him out to lunch one day. When you're on your way out with co-workers, pass by his desk and say, "Lunch would surely be better if you tagged along." Use subtle invitations that clue to him that you're into him but not so aggressive that you're overtly asking for a date. Play it safe so you're not being inappropriate. Casually mention that maybe the two of you should go check out the new spot around the corner sometime.
Volunteer to partner with him on a project or attend a convention that he's going to. After Boss Peterman's assigned your guy to a special project out of town, be the first to volunteer to be his assistant to set up at the trade show or give a helping hand presenting the company workshop. See how your guy reacts to the idea of spending a weekend exploring a new city with you.
Corner him at the annual holiday party. A little booze is enough to lighten the mood of even the stuffiest of bitter employees, so now's the time to let the flirty tension between the two of you ignite. After the holiday toast, pull him to the side out by the waterfall or sit on the swing at your company party venue. Tell him you've been dying to get to know some of the things he'll be doing during the holidays and begin talking to him about his favourite holiday funny stories. Get close to him, touch him lightly in a playful manner to send signals that you're definitely interested in him.
Tips and warnings
- Check with your company's human resources department or ask your superior for specific policies on office relationships. Be very clear about your office's sexual harassment policies before making any advances to your co-worker.
- Avoid physical contact that eludes to sexual activity or can be misconstrued as fondling.
- If the guy you're flirting with seems uncomfortable or suggests that you not continue flirting with him, do so. You don't want to risk losing your job flirting with him, especially when he's not interested.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for