Paper aeroplanes can be made with household supplies and with a minimum amount of physical dexterity. You can make your own rubber band-powered paper aeroplane. The size of your DIY rubber band plane will be dictated by how large a sheet of paper is used, and the length of the rubber band will dictate the strength of the initial thrust that sends it flying.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Printing paper, 8 by 10 inches
- Cellophane tape
- Rubber band, 6 inches
Place a sheet of paper horizontally on a table. Fold the top of the paper down to the bottom. Smooth the crease with your fingers.
Fold the bottom left corner towards the top to line the left side of the flap with the top edge of the sheet. Smooth the creased angle of the flap with your fingers.
Turn the sheet over. Fold the upper left corner towards the bottom to line the left side of the flap with the bottom edge of the sheet. Smooth the creased angle of the flap with your fingers.
Fold the top of the sheet down to the bottom so that the two ends meet. Smooth the crease down. Turn the sheet over.
Fold the bottom of the sheet up to the top so that the two ends meet. Smooth the crease down. Turn the sheet over.
Raise up the two flaps, which are now the wings of the plane, up so that they are parallel with the floor.
Make a notched cut at the bottom of the pointed nose at the front of your rubber band-powered plane, using scissors. Wrap a piece of cellophane tape around the notch to keep the paper from tearing.
Place the loop at one end of a rubber band into the notch. Hold the plane by the bottom in one hand. Hold the free end of the rubber band in your other hand. Pull the rubber band away from the plane until it is fully extended. Release the plane to propel it forward.
Tips and warnings
- Never aim anything that can be shot which has a point at a person or pet, especially when it's a rubber band-powered plane that can accidentally hit them.
- Adult supervision is needed if a child makes the rubber-band powered plane, since scissors are being used.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for