Create grunge texture on a variety of surfaces, including fabric, glass, and wood, to create primitive craft projects. Add the texture to stuffed ornaments, jars, glass candle holders, wood projects and signs. Grungy or grubby textures give projects the appearance of being dirty and old, a popular look for prim and country decor. Applying grunge texture requires no more than a few supplies and common household items.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dry instant coffee
- Cinnamon powder
- Clove powder
- Nutmeg powder
- White glue
- Craft brush
- Waxed paper
Prepare your surfaces before applying grunge texture. Some of the surface may show through the grunge texture, so prepare them beforehand. Tea-stain your fabrics by brewing three tea bags in a large pot of water, soaking fabrics in the tea for 30 minutes, and then hang to dry. Paint glass with two coats of dark brown acrylic paint and allow at least one hour of drying time for each coat. Brush stain on wood and allow to dry for at least six hours to eight hours.
Mix 1/2 cup of dry instant coffee with 1 tbsp each of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg powder in a bowl. This mixture will create a dark brown colour with other flecks of lighter browns for your grunge texture. Pour the mix onto a flat plate and spread out in a thin layer.
Paint white glue over the surface you want to grunge using a craft brush. Allow a few minutes for the glue to get tacky, but do not allow it to completely dry.
Roll the glued surface of your project in the coffee ground blend. The blend will clump with the glue, creating a deep textured effect. Scoop the blend over the surface of the project, using a spoon, to cover thoroughly.
Place the project on a sheet of waxed paper and allow drying for at least 30 minutes.
Add more white glue and coffee ground blend to fill empty spots or add more texture, if desired. Allow to dry for 30 minutes.
Tips and warnings
- Sprinkle a little extra cinnamon over the finished project for scent and colour.
- Seal your project with a clear, matt-finish acrylic sealer spray, if desired. Spray a light coating over the project to prevent the coffee and spices from wearing off.
- If coffee and spices fade in time, make the mixture again and rub it over the surface.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for