Using the VLC Streamer app available from the iTunes App Store, you can easily set up your iPad to stream videos from your computer using the VLC multimedia application. The app utilises helper software on the host computer to send video content through your Wi-Fi connection to the VLC Streamer app on your iPad, allowing you to view videos saved on your computer through the iPad.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Tap the "App Store" icon on your iPad home screen, then use the search box at the top to find "VLC Streamer." Select between the free or paid version of the app. The free version is supported with advertisements.
Launch a Web browser on your computer and navigate to hobbyistsoftware.com/vlcstreamer to download and install the helper software. There are versions for both Windows and Mac.
Tap the "VLC Streamer" icon on your iPad home screen once the helper software is installed and running on your computer. The app will display a list of computers running the helper software.
Tap your computer to connect to it, and browse the video files stored on the hard drive. Tap a video file to stream it to your iPad. Depending on the file type, the helper software may need to convert the file for viewing. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to a full hour, depending on the speed of your computer and the length of the video file.
Tips and warnings
- VLC Streamer will immediately stream all video files natively supported by the iPad including MOV and MP4 files.
- VLC Streamer is not capable of streaming videos purchased from the iTunes Store due to DRM embedded in the video files. Only Apple software can play these files.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for