Instead of listening to a generic voice, you can liven up your trip by making your TomTom GPS device sound like Mr. T, Darth Vader or even Homer Simpson. All you need is the data cable that came with your TomTom device. Once you save the voice files into the TomTom, you can select a celebrity voice from the list of voices in the device.
- Skill level:
Plug the USB data cable into the TomTom's charging/data port, and plug the other end into the computer.
Press the "Yes" button on the TomTom screen to connect with the PC.
Click the "Start" button on the Windows task bar and open "Computer" on your Windows 7 system. You will see the TomTom listed under "Devices with removable storage."
Double-click the TomTom drive, and then open the "Voices" folder.
Drag and drop your voice files into the "Voices" folder.
Adding Voices Without Special Software
Connect the USB data cable to the charging/data port on the TomTom. Plug the other end into your computer. The MyTomTom software will load automatically.
Click "Add community content" and select "Add voice."
Click the "Browse" button and navigate to the folder where the voice files are stored. Select the voice files and click "Open."
Click "Install" to finish installing the voices.
Adding Voices With MyTomTom
Plug the USB data cable into the charging/data port on the TomTom. Plug the other end into your computer. The TomTom HOME software will appear on your screen.
Click "Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc." and open "Voices."
Click "Recorded voice" for prerecorded voices or "Computer voice" for computer generated voices.
Click the voice you want to install on your TomTom, and then click "Add" to install the voice.
Adding Voices Using TomTom HOME
Tips and warnings
- Some voice files are compressed in ZIP files. Double-click the ZIP file to open it, and then drag the contents of the ZIP file into the "Voices" folder.
- You can download voices directly from the TomTom website using the MyTomTom or TomTom HOME software. Download the latest version of the software from TomTom.com.
- To select a voice, "Change Preferences" on the TomTom's main screen, and then tap the right arrow button. Touch "Change voice" and cycle to the voice you want to choose using the left and right arrow buttons. Press "Test" to verify it is the correct voice, and then press "Select."
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for