Both noblemen and peasants were medieval archers. To make a costume for a peasant archer, the bow you choose will depend on the type of archer you select to impersonate. Longbow archers were strong, well-muscled men, with a bow almost as tall as a grown man. Crossbow archers were not skilled, and their bow was mechanical in nature. Another strong person, who shot with a normal bow and arrow, was called a skilled archer.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Bow of choice
- Tan tights
- Long homespun shirt
- Dark brown sweatshirt, at least two sizes larger than you usually wear
- Brown leather belt
- Brown boots
- Oatmeal container
- 10 wooden dowels, 1/4-inch diameter
- Fabric belt in an earth tone
- Brown tempera paint
- Hot glue gun
- One stick hot glue
Cut off the bottom band of the sweatshirt at the seam and discard the band. Remove the sleeves in the same way. This garment, now resembling a sleeveless tunic, will serve as your leather armour.
To make the arrow holder, paint the oatmeal box brown and allow to dry. Trim the fabric belt to the desired length. Using hot glue, attach the fabric belt to the oatmeal box at both the top and bottom. Allow to cool. Place the dowels in the oatmeal container.
Put on tights, homespun shirt and brown sweatshirt armour. Pull the sweatshirt down low, resembling a tunic. Wrap a brown leather belt around your waist.
Along the seam, cut open the sweatshirt sleeves. Place the elbow area of the sleeves over the knees of the tights. Wrap the fabric around each knee and tie it in a knot behind the knees. Trim the remainder so that no more than 3 inches remains. This is your knee armour.
Put on your boots and pick up your bow. Your costume is now ready.
Tips and warnings
- If you have extra time, use a dark-coloured fabric pen to decorate your leather armour. Consider imitating leather engraving with details like fleur de lis.
- You can also decorate your arrow holder with permanent markers or paint.
- Add fletching, or the aerodynamic stabilisation part found at the opposite end from the arrowhead, using brightly coloured paper.
- Take care when using a hot glue gun. Touching the tip may result in a serious burn.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for