You may have turned your nose up at the thought of turnips as a child, but this purple and white root vegetable can be made quite tasty if you know how to cook it right. Turnips are starchy like potatoes, but have a slightly bitter taste and less calories. The turnip greens that sprout from the root are also edible, although turnips are mostly grown for the root section. Although turnips are often mashed or roasted in the oven, grilling them on your barbecue will enhance their natural flavours.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Small whole turnips, any amount
- Large turnips, any amount
- Vegetable scrubber
- Sharp knife
- Steamer pot with basket
- Lemon wedge
- Olive Oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Prepare the barbecue grill for low heat.
Chop off the stem and greens from the turnips if necessary and scrub the surface with a vegetable scrubber under running water.
Add the turnips to the grill and cooked with the lid covered for about 30 minutes, or until tender.
Remove the turnips from the grill and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Peel the skins off the turnips and place into a bowl.
Sprinkle the turnips with the juice from the lemon wedge, salt and pepper to taste and a drizzle of olive oil. Toss to fully coat the turnips and serve.
Preheat the grill for medium-high heat.
Peel and slice the turnips in 1/4-inch thick slices.
Steam the turnip slices for five minutes in a steamer basket set over 2 inches of boiling water in a steamer pot.
Place the steamed turnip slices on the grill and cook for roughly eight minutes, turning halfway through, until both sides are lightly brown and the turnips are tender.
Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper and serve.
Tips and warnings
- When choosing turnips, look for those that are firm, have little to no blemishes and have a deep, purple blush near the tops.
- Feel free to add other seasonings to enhance the turnips as you wish such as garlic powder, lemon pepper and dried herbs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for