Emo hairstyles convey the individuality and emotionality of the person wearing it. The emo look is a tangent from a punk or gothic style. While there is much variation in the emo hairstyle, the long, fringed, side-swept fringe hanging across the forehead, eyes and face set it apart from other hairstyles. Guys and girls alike wear emo hairstyles with similar fringe. Cutting and styling the fringe yourself is the preferred way for emos to show their creativity.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Blow dryer
- Hair clip
- Hair straightener
- Razor comb
- Styling product
Wash and blow-dry your hair. Emo hair is straight, so if your hair is curly or frizzy, you need to straighten it, using a blow dryer or flat iron and styling product.
Part your hair on the side that you prefer. The emo look is usually a deep side part, not near the centre of the head. To get the hair to part where you want it naturally, shake your head and let the hair fall into a loose side part. Separate and clip the hair on the crown of the head back to keep it out of the way. Later, you will release this hair and it should fall into place off to the side. Right now, you will be focusing on the underlayer or front section of the hairline.
Look in the mirror and comb the fringe straight down. Emo fringe are shorter at the side part and taper longer toward the other side. When you cut the fringe, it will be easier to see what you are doing if the fringe are combed straight down.
Cut the fringe with a razor comb, starting at the side part. The razor comb allows you to cut the hair in a fringed and uneven style with spiky ends. Pick up a small section of fringe right near the side part and make the first cut, fraying it gently with the razor comb. You can make the bang as short as you like, but if it is too short, it might stick up, so longer is better. Continue picking up small sections of hair and fraying the ends with the razor comb, making the fringe longer and longer so you taper down at an angle across your eyes. The fringe will look like a diagonal across your face.
Remove the rest of your hair from the clip and shake your head toward the side. The hair should fall across your forehead and eyes in the emo side-swept style.
Apply a styling product through your fringe. Use your fingertips to smooth the fringe to the side, tapering down over your eyes. This will keep the hair in place.
Tips and warnings
- Keep in mind while you are cutting that emo fringe cover one eye and part of your forehead and face. The fringe should be jagged with different lengths, but tapering longer to one side.
- Styling products make emo hairstyles possible for all hair types. If you have frizzy or curly hair, use smoothing lotions, hair wax and anti-frizz gels.
- It is popular in the emo style to dye your hair jet black and highlight the fringe in purple or red.
- Dye or streak the fringed ends of your hair a different colour. If your hair is dark, you can use a red or purple dye on the tips of the fringe. If your hair is blond, choose any colour you want.
- If you don't feel confident cutting your own hair, have your hair styled in the emo look the first time by a professional stylist. After that, you can maintain the look by cutting it yourself.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for