A hat can be used as an accessory to your favourite outfit or as protective gear for your head. On January 15, National Hat Day is celebrated throughout the country and people often choose a special hat to wear to work or school on this day. You can purchase a store-bought hat and decorate it to make it a unique item for kids to wear, both in celebration of the holiday, and after the fact.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Ribbon or trim
- Plastic jewels or embellishments
- Fabric paint
- Spray glitter
Purchase a hat to begin your project. Allow your child to choose his favourite style. This might be a plain baseball cap or a top hat. Take the child with you to purchase the hat so he can try it on to be sure it fits properly.
Use hot glue to adhere a decorative trim to the outside brim of the hat. You might use ribbon or place decorative jewels around the outer edges. Boys may prefer to use small plastic embellishments such as soccer balls or footballs purchased from your local craft store.
Use fabric paint to write your child's name or initials on the hat. You may choose to place this on the centre front, using this as the prominent decoration of the hat, or simply write his name on the back of the hat.
Choose a feather that is the child's favourite colour and glue it somewhere on the side or top of the hat. Be sure to glue enough of the feather to the hat to secure it, but don't glue down the entire feather. This will give your child's hat some movement when he wears it.
Tips and warnings
- Add additional sparkle to your child's hat by spraying the finished product with a spray glitter.
- Help your child use the appropriate glue for this project. Glue that is strong enough to adhere the decorations to the hat may not be safe for a young child, so provide adequate supervision.
- National Hat Day is not recognised by Congress, so your child might not be able to wear his hat while at school or any other place that has restrictions.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for