L'Oreal makes many at-home hair dyes that can be used for easy, DIY looks. These dyes are often found at your local drugstore, fully packaged with instructions on how to mix the dye and prepare it for colouring. However, L'Oreal sells dye directly to beauty stores that do not feature directions or simple to read instructions. L'Oreal's Preference Mega Red permanent hair dye provides brilliant, intense red colour but does not provide instructions or developer. Even without these instructions, it is simple to purchase the correct developer and dye your hair at home to achieve vibrant, deep red shades.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 56.7gr. L'Oreal Preference Mega Reds permanent hair dye
- 56.7gr. 20 volume Oreor Crème Developer
- Plastic gloves
- Plastic colour bottle
- Small container
- Cotton swab
- Deep conditioner formulated for coloured hair
- Petroleum jelly
Complete the Skin Allergy Test at least 48 hours before you intend on dyeing your hair.
Find a small container, and mix together 1 tsp. Oreor Crème Developer and 1 tsp L'Oreal Mega Reds permanent hair colour.
Take a cotton swab, and use it to dab a tiny, yet visible, amount of the hair dye somewhere on your arm where it won't easily be noticed.
Leave the dye on your arm for 48 hours and then wash off with warm water.
Inspect the dyed area for any signs of hives, rashes, or other form of irritation.
Dye your hair if your skin is clear and shows no signs of allergic reaction. If there are signs of irritation around the dab mark, do not proceed to use this product to dye your hair.
Complete the Strand Test 48 hours before dyeing your hair. This is because the test involves shampooing your hair. You should always leave at least 48 hours between the time you last shampooed your hair and the time you intend to dye it.
Repeat Step 2 from the Skin Allergy Test, or use some of the same mixture if doing the strand test concurrent with the allergy test.
Take a strand of hair and cover it with the dye.
Allow the dye to remain on the strand for at least 25 minutes. If you are dyeing grey hair, leave the dye on for at least 35 minutes.
Use your standard shampoo to wash the strand of hair, but only after at least 25 minutes.
Use your standard methods, e.g. blow drying or natural means, to allow your strand of hair to dry.
Check the strand of hair once it is dry. If your hair is an odd colour, then you should not dye it with this product. However, if it is the intended colour, you should wait at least 24 hours, and then proceed to colour the remainder of your hair. It does not matter if the colour on the strand washes out a little, because you are dyeing it again.
Put on plastic gloves to avoid staining skin and remove the top to plastic colour bottle.
Pour all 56.7gr. of L'Oreal Mega Reds permanent hair dye into the empty colour bottle.
Pour all 56.7gr. of 20 volume Oreor Crème Developer into the colour bottle with the dye.
Close cap over the colour bottle and shake the two ingredients together rapidly so that they will mix thoroughly. Shake for approximately 30 seconds.
Use petroleum jelly to keep the haircolor from running down onto your skin and face by applying it around your hairline.
Find a tarp, or use a garbage bag, and fasten it securely around your clothes to keep stray drops of dye from staining them.
Separate dry, unwashed hair into 4 sections: 2 in front, and 2 in back. Try to make these parts as sharp as possible.
Begin at the roots of your hair, and apply the colour and developer mixture to your hair. Try not to press or rub the haircolor into your scalp, because this will stain the skin.
Finish applying the haircolor to the remainder of your hair after you have finished with the roots.
Allow the dye to remain on your hair for at least 25 minutes; 35 minutes if you are dyeing grey hair.
Use warm water to rinse your hair after the specified amount of time. Do this until the water runs clear.
Deep condition your hair with a brand that is formulated specifically for dyed hair.
Allow this conditioner to set for at least 2 minutes. Then proceed to rinse your hair again with warm water.
Tips and warnings
- If your hair is above your ears, use only 28.4gr. of the dye and developer. If your hair is very long and thick, you may need to use 113gr. of the dye and developer.
- Red hair dye fades faster than any other colour. Wash and condition hair with specially formulated products made to preserve red hair colour.
- Use 40 volume developer for brighter, more intense results.
- There are 8 different shades in the Mega Reds line.
- Avoid shampooing your hair for 48 hours after dyeing to preserve the colour, and keep it from washing out.
- For a more even colour, trim frail, splint ends before dyeing hair. Split ends are more porous than healthy hair and do not hold dye well, which can leave your hair significantly lighter at the ends.
- Do not dye eyebrows or eyelashes as this can cause infection and even blindness in the eye. Call a medical professional and wash out your eye should any dye accidentally get into the immediate vicinity of your ocular lenses.
- When mixing, be careful not to get dye on your skin or clothes, as the dye will stain.
- Use a wet cloth to scrub any dye from your skin or household surfaces, as hair dye can stain and remain for long periods.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for