In order to save files in the MP3 format using the GoldWave audio editing software, you'll need to install an encoder plug-in for the program. GoldWave supports the free LAME MP3 encoder plug-in, which allows you to export MP3 audio from GoldWave at bitrates of up to 320 kilobits per second (kbps). As the LAME encoder does not include an installation program, you must download a zip file containing the plug-in DLL, then manually move the DLL into the GoldWave program directory.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Navigate to the LAME MP3 Encoder download page on Free-codecs.com (see Resources). Click the "LAME MP3 Encoder" download link; click "Save" to download a zip file containing the encoder.
Double-click the downloaded zip file. Click the "lame_enc" file to highlight it, then press "Ctrl" and "C" simultaneously to copy it to the system clipboard.
Click inside the address bar at the top of the Windows Explorer window. Type "C:\Program Files\GoldWave" -- without quotes -- and press "Enter." Press "Ctrl" and "V" simultaneously to paste the LAME encoder into the GoldWave directory.
Launch GoldWave to scan the LAME plug-in and complete the installation.
Tips and warnings
- After you move the LAME plug-in into the GoldWave directory, you can delete the downloaded zip file.
- The 64-bit version of LAME does not function in GoldWave.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for