Anime, the Japanese style of cartooning, has developed a reputation of drawing cute stuffed animals, including teddy bears. Are you looking to draw your own anime teddy bear? You may be overwhelmed with this task at first, but there is a method that makes drawing anime teddy bears easy. If beginning artists learn the foundational principles of figure drawing and cartooning, they will be able to create their own anime teddy bears with ease.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Black pen
- Drawing paper
Sketch the rough draft of your anime teddy bear. Draw two circles, one on top of another, to map out the bear's head and body; make sure the circles are touching. Draw a vertical line down the circles' centre. Map the arms of the bear by sketching two lines extending from the bottom part of the top circle, and map the legs by sketching two lines extending from the lower part of the bottom circle. Create a guideline for the eyes by sketching two horizontal lines in the top circle. Draw the horizontal lines across the vertical guideline drawn previously.
Draw the outline of your teddy bear. Follow your rough draft and create the organic shape of your bear's body. Draw the teddy bear's cheeks round for a chubby anime look, and keep the ears short on the top of the head. Sketch the bear's body round and plump by following the circle of your rough draft. Make the arms of the bear longer than the legs, and draw mitten-shaped hands. Do not draw feet onto the bear's legs; leave the bottoms as stumps for a cute look.
Pencil in the details of the bear. Sketch the eyes, nose and mouth. Draw eyes between the horizontal lines created previously. Make the eyes big and round for an anime look. Draw the nose just below the two eyes. Use a triangle shape for the nose, with the tip of the triangle facing downward. Completely shade in the eyes and nose. Draw a "W" shape right below the nose to create a cute, smiling mouth. Create the fur of the bear by drawing zigzag lines along the outline of the drawing.
Erase the markings of your rough draft and correct any mistakes you find. Create a reflection off the bear's eyes and nose by erasing a portion of your shading in the upper right corner of each eye and on the tip of the nose. Draw any other details in the bear's body such as fur patterns, designs, logos or stitches.
Review your drawing a final time and adjust any mistakes where needed. Ink your entire picture by slowly tracing over your lines with a black pen. Add an anime shading style to your bear by using a cross-hatching method with your pen to complete the drawing.
Tips and warnings
- Look at reference pictures of cute anime bears and animals. This will help act as a guide when you draw your pictures. You can find reference pictures by following the links in the resources section.
- Practice drawing regularly. The more you practice, the better your drawings will become.
- Look at other artists' techniques used to draw cute anime animals. This will give you ideas for your own work.
- Remember that there are many methods to drawing anime. Explore different techniques and styles to see what works best for you.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for