The McCulloch 2816 is a gas-powered lawn trimmer that utilises a nylon line to trim grass and weeds in areas where a lawnmower can not reach. The trimmer can be flipped on its side so that it can also be used as an edger to maintain sharp, neat lines on sidewalks and driveways. The 2816 can also scalp vegetation down to its roots. What follows is a brief overview of how to start the 2816 plus basic trimmer maintenance.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- McCulloch string trimmer (MAC 2816)
- 2-cycle Oil
- Gas can with spout
- Cutter line (.95 or .80 diameter)
Pour half of the gasoline in a container, preferably a gas can with a spout. Add the oil, then add the remaining gasoline. Replace the cap.
Mix the gas and oil by gently shaking the sealed container.
Unscrew the gas cap on the fuel tank of the 2816 and fill the tank, being careful not to overfill the tank. Make sure to replace the cap.
Mixing Fuel and Oil
Set the choke lever on the left side of the trimmer to the choke position.
Press the primer bulb on the left side of the trimmer 10 times to prime the carburettor.
Depress the trigger on the handle until it is at the full throttle position.
Pull the starter cord at least four times in quick succession. If the engine does not start up, pull four more times until the engine turns over.
Let the engine run for about 10 seconds, then switch the choke lever to the start position and pull the starter cord four more times in quick succession. Leave the switch in the start position for 10 seconds, then flip the switch to the run position.
Starting a Cold Engine
Unscrew the knob on the bottom of the trimmer and remove the spool, spring and housing. Remove any remaining cutter line so that the spool is empty.
Measure an 18-foot length of line of cutter line. Place one end into the two holes on the top of the spool and pull them through, making sure they are even in length.
Wrap the line around the spool in a clockwise fashion, making sure not to twist the lines. Leave about 5 inches of line at the ends. Lock the line ends on the notches on both ends of the spool.
Place the spring on the centre of the housing and then place the spool on top of the spring inside the housing. Make sure to feed the lines through the holes on both ends of the housing.
Squeeze the spool in the housing to depress the internal spring. Pull both ends of the line so that they remove themselves from the spool notches. Place the spool back onto the trimmer post and screw the knob back on tightly to lock it into place.
Tips and warnings
- The ratio of gasoline to oil should be 40:1.
- To stop the engine, depress the throttle trigger so the engine slows to an idle. Press and hold the ignition switch in the right side until the engine stops.
- To extend the line while the trimmer is in use, bump the trimmer head twice. More line will extend out.
- For best results, keep the line extend to a length of 5 inches at all times.
- Be aware of loose stones and debris that can be thrown by the spinning trimmer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for