It is a pleasure to come home from a tough day at work and sink into a soft leather sofa to relax for the evening. However, the scratches that appear on leather furniture, whether caused by everyday use, an accident or a pet, can become an eyesore. Like it or not, they will not go away on their own. A leather repair kit, available online and in stores, will work. More simply, a few household items can also remove the scratches from leather furniture.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clothes iron
- 3 soft cloths, 1 damp
- Plant-based oil
- Shoe polish (paste)
Place the damp cloth over the scratch, and place the heated iron over the cloth. The heat will draw the natural oils in the leather to the surface. This will make the scratch look better.
Rub a small amount of plant-based oil, such as olive oil or vegetable oil, into the scratch with a soft cloth. Be sure to remove the excess oil from the leather.
Rub a soft cloth into the shoe paste and then use it to buff the scratched area. Start with a small area and buff outward, blending the shoe polish with the rest of the leather. Use the cloth to remove any extra paste and allow to dry thoroughly.
Tips and warnings
- If these steps have not worked, it is time to consider a commercial leather repair kit.
- If using shoe paste, match the colour to your furniture as closely as possible.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for