Instead of wearing a necklace or a plain scarf with your wardrobe, turn an ordinary old silk or decorative scarf into a striking piece of wearable art by attaching sparkly jewellery. Make your artsy scarf to wear to work or out on the town to capture attention from passersby. Make a unique accessory, and reuse or upcycle an old scarf and jewellery to give them new life. You can showcase your creation by wrapping your scarf around your neck and letting the jewellery dangle down the front.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Set of dangle earrings
- 16-gauge jewellery wire
- Wire cutters
- Needle-nosed pliers
- Embroidery floss
Search for a pair of large dangle earrings to reuse. Larger earrings with embedded jewels or stones work well. Look for earrings that match the scarf, or mix colours and textures for a dramatic effect.
Remove the ear wires from each earring by cutting them off with a pair of wire cutters. Make sure the original loop on the earrings remains.
Cut a 15 cm (6 inch) long piece of 16-gauge jewellery wire with wire cutters. Bend the wire piece in half.
Place an end of wire through the loop in the top of the earring, sliding it down to the bend in the wire. Twist the wires together three times to encase the earring loop.
Tie a knot onto each end of the scarf, leaving a tail of fabric about 5 cm (2 inches) long.
Wrap the wires attached to the earrings around the tail ends of the scarf. Wrap the wires tightly around the fabric, weaving from the edge up in a criss-cross pattern. Continue weaving the wire until you reach the knot. Cut off excess wire with wire cutters.
Tie embroidery floss at the edge of the wire that meets with the earring loop, using a double knot. Wrap the embroidery thread tightly around, overlapping the threads to cover the wire. Continue wrapping until you reach the knot, then tie the embroidery thread in a double knot to finish. Cut off the excess.
Bend the wire attaching the earring as needed to adjust the way it falls when you wear the scarf.
Tips and warnings
- Use a scarf with a hemmed edge, or carefully cut off fringed edges before adding your jewellery.
- If you do not have earrings or a scarf, visit local charity shops, car boot sales or flea markets for inexpensive accessories.
- Add coordinating beads to the wire before attaching it to the scarf. Pinch the two wires together, and place beads over the wires. Look for beads with holes large enough to fit two pieces of wire.
- If you do not have a set of earrings, use one earring on one end and a different one or a pendant on the other end of the scarf.
- Use yarns or ribbons instead of embroidery floss to wrap the ends of the scarf.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for