The iPad's free Kindle application gives you direct access to the online Amazon.com e-book store, where you can purchase and download digital reading material directly to the device. Your existing e-book library can also be transferred to the iPad's Kindle app from your computer. Your e-book files must be in a Kindle-compatible format, such as MOBI or AWZ and must not feature any form of digital rights management, encryption or copyright protection.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- iPad USB cable
Download and install the latest version of iTunes (itunes.com) on your computer. Once installation has completed, double-click the iTunes icon on the desktop. If you already have iTunes installed, click the "Help" menu and click "Check for updates." Allow any available updates to install before continuing.
Plug the wide end of the iPad USB cable into the iPad and the other end into a USB port on the computer. iTunes automatically adds the iPad to its "Devices" list in the left-hand column.
Click the iPad from the "Devices" list and click the "Apps" tab in the main iTunes window.
Scroll down to the "File Sharing" section of the "Apps" tab in iTunes.
Click the Kindle application from the "Apps" list. A list of the app's currently installed e-books is displayed in the "Documents" box to the right.
Drag and drop your MOBI e-book files into the "Documents" box in iTunes. The e-books are synced with the iPad automatically and will be immediately available through the Kindle application's library.
Tips and warnings
- The iTunes file sharing system is two-way and allows you to drag files out of the "Documents" box and into a folder on your computer.
- E-books sent to the Kindle app using the iTunes sync method won't be included in the "Archive" section of you Amazon.com account, as purchased e-books are. If you delete them from the device, they can't be recovered.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for