A fountain's water flow rate affects the sound of the fountain. A faster flow rate produces more noise. A slower flow rate provides a more tranquil mood and quieter fountain operation. In feng shui, a design method that emphasises harmony of elements, indoor and outdoor fountains promote prosperity. Many fountain pumps come with a flow rate control that allows you to slow down the water flow in a fountain. In a few minutes, you can adjust the fountain's flow rate --- or, for a small investment, replace your fountain's pump with a pump that comes with an adjustable flow rate.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Unplug the fountain's power cord. Remove the housing that conceals the fountain pump, or remove the stones, shells or other material to access the pump.
Locate the flow control switch if the pump has one. Water fountains use submersible pumps designed for safe operation in water. The flow rate switch is usually a button that slides from side to side or a recessed dial located on one side of the pump's housing. An "S" indicates slow, and "F" is for fast.
Move the switch or dial to the "S" position. If your fountain pump doesn't have a flow rate adjustment switch, it will only operate at one flow rate. If it has a tube, removing the tube can give the fountain a softer sound. Grasp the tube firmly right above the pump housing and pull it out. If you remove the tube, refill the fountain to a lower water level so there's only 1/2 inch to 1 inch of water above the fountain pump.
Add or remove water if needed to adjust the fountain's water level. Scooping out water with a cup will reduce the water level for tubeless operation. Replace the housing or other items to conceal the pump.
Plug the fountain pump back in.
Tips and warnings
- Keep the fountain out of direct sunlight to reduce the risk of algae growth.
- Add 1 tbsp of white vinegar for each gallon of water to the fountain to reduce mineral build-up.
- Don't unplug a fountain or other electrical device when your hands are wet. This could result in electric shock.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for